Friday, January 03, 2014

Here Comes 2014






All over the world people celebrate in various fashions to usher in the new Gregorian year, whether it's plunging into frigid waters, praying at temples, watching spectacular fireworks, or a beach party of unequaled proportions. There are symbolic countdown drops that accompany such celebrations across many cities in the United States, there is the famous ball drop in New York City, fleur-de-lis in New Orleans and the peach drop in Atlanta-GA.

In Key West-FL it is  done by watching the red shoe drop or the conch shell drop. Inaugurated this year to be an annual drop is the giant cigar drop at El Meson de Pepe, and that is where I went to dance my way into 2014.

It was around 7 pm when I did walk on Duval and it was already teeming with people, drinking, loud, and with the help of live music waiting for the countdown drop whether its the red shoe drop at Bourbon Street Pub or conch shell drop at Sloppy Joes.

Went home for rest, caught up on some TV series and waited till 11 pm to make my way to El Meson de Pepe where I knew there would be Latin music from Salsa to Bachata, and it was going to be quiet according to Key West partying standards. I took the back streets to avoid the chaos on Duval. When  I arrived the musicians were playing hard, the people were dancing and having a good time. I met a friend whom we became acquainted at Virgilios’ Thursday Latin music night.  She introduced me to her daughter and his boyfriend and a few of her friends.

We wasted no time to get into the groove, we danced until it was 11:59 pm, the lead singer of the band led the countdown and when it struck midnight the giant cigar dropped, everyone shouted as loud as they could Happy New Year!!!! hugging, taking photos and dancing.

Stayed with the group until 2 am when I decided to venture into Duval again. This time the streets was less crowded, but littered with confetti, plastic cups and broken bottles. A heavy police presence patrolling the streets, random people coming over giving me high-five saying Happy New Year, others would give a nod or a shout out from across the street.

Walked into Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville where a rock band was playing. Stood and listened to them. A young man who was totally wasted, was  arms length slowly staggering up and down the dance floor. When the band was done for the morning, I went into the street taking photos of the party aftermath and looking for a place I could eat, hungry from all that dancing. Luckily there was a pizza place open. Got two slices of pizza to go, made it home, where I sat down staring at my computer and eating pizza.

Here comes 2014 for this 21st century nomad.

No comments: