Friday, December 20, 2013

A Beautiful Feeling




Its been a while since I truly danced and my soul was aching for it.  I got that opportunity last night. 
Hanging out with some friends who are visiting Key West, we had a  delicious dinner at Turtle Kraals restaurant where I enjoyed a mouth-festive Arepas-Toasted Pistachio & Raisin Chicken Salad plus sweet potato fries I've been craving for months.

It reminded me of the time I went to Blue Heaven restaurant (courtesy of Fareed)  for a most magnificent taste buds exploration, where I had Caribbean BBQ shrimp to die for and  Baby Greens Salad that would awaken sensations in your mouth you thought you never had. 

 To help out with digestion and Island enjoyment, the couple and I decided to bike around town and check out a few music venues. 

First stop was Virgilio's where we found out about Latin music night that begins at 10 pm. It was early and we had time to spare, so we strolled into Little Room Jazz Club (the same venue I played with a Haitian fusion jazz band  last Tuesday)  for some live music and board games. The musicians played hit songs from various decades,  sprinkled in some classic Christmas music, it's that season.

It was time to go back to Virgilio's for dancing. When we arrived the band was already in full mode, dancers grooving to the lively music. Shy as we may, we made it to the dance floor and danced to some Salsa and Meringue before my friends had to call it a night. Being the night owl I am, I stayed and danced the night away in full steam with the other dancers , bar hoppers, and lovers of Latin music. 

 Through chitchat with a few friendly faces, I was made aware of some of the regulars and their nationalities, for at Virgilio's every Thursday is Latin night; a place where Mexicans, South Americans, Africans, Spaniards, and Eastern Europeans are on the dance floor moving to the beat of the music with deep African roots. I danced till my hearts content which at that point was 2 am. 

I rode my bike home through the quiet streets of Key West, with the breeze from the Gulf wafting over me. When I got home and got ready for bed, a beautiful feeling came over me, a certain joy beyond words.

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul of the body"
-Martha Graham 

No comments: