Thursday, December 05, 2013

Bike into Sunset




Have been basking in the sunshine of this tropical island famously known as “Paradise”
close to two weeks now with temperatures just a little over 60०F. This island that has captured the interests of pirates, presidents, famous writers, immigrants, artists, water sports enthusiasts and lovers of laid-back life. Its been a place of eccentric showmanship, a haven for the free spirited, it swoons the spirit of nightlife junkets and woos the hearts for romantic getaways, a destination for creating and celebrating significant events.

Have been here a number of times and spent many a days amazed by life in this beautiful island; the easy going pace (even though some locals complain its becoming too busy for their liking, still its not the hustle and bustle of Miami nor New York),  the friendly nature of locals and the cordial smiles of strangers alike.

I rode into town for sunset celebration so common in this island (there is a daily celebration of the sunset at Mallory Square with plenty of entertainment). I leisurely rode my  bike into town via Roosevelt boulevard where the ocean breeze from the Atlantic wafted over me, my mind and body taken-in by the sights and sounds: boats going into sea for fishing excursions, people on the boardwalk conversing, runners and joggers, sexy roller skaters,  tourists lounging on beach chairs drinking beer, others conversing and fishing, families taking photos, friends playing games on the white beach sands, a mother and toddler in matching red dresses taking photos and videos documenting moments into memories.  

At the pace of the ride, I knew it will be too late to catch the sunset at Mallory Square, I opted to watch the sunset on the Atlantic side at Smathers Beach. With the bike secured, I took off my shoes, walked on the sandy shores and sat on a rock and observed the movement of the clouds far off into the horizon as the evening sunlight gives way to dusk. A mother was silently meditating by the shore, a father taking as many photos of the sunset as he could, a child playing in the sand. I placed my shoes and pretended to be a photographer on an assignment to take a photo that depicts “travel”. I placed my shoes on various rocks and used my cell phone taking photos from different angles with the sunset and the ocean as backdrop.

Following the example of the meditating mother, I sat quietly and offered a few prayers, and then walked back to the bike, not before trying to take those classic Island-life pictures: coconut trees at sunset, boats and canoes lying by the beach on white sand, boardwalk with street lamps,  a colorful sky backdrop, bikers and joggers, a family playing on the sands.

Satisfied of having taking in the sunset, I increased my riding pace so as to catch the end of the celebration at Mallory Square. Rode by Hemingway's house, took a photo of the side placard and then made it to the square. There I witnessed a lady who had come down to celebrate her 50th birthday with her girlfriends join one of the entertainers as backup vocals, they sang that classic  “Banana Boat song” made popular by Harry Belafonte. She is from Louisiana, after thank you hugs to the entertainer and photos, they stroke a conversation with a couple from Australia who are on a cruise.

I walked to El Meson de Pepe restaurant to enjoy the band that was playing Latin music, danced to a few songs of Salsa and Meringue, rode my bike along Duval (the most famous street in Key West) it was becoming crowded, made my way home where I had a delicious meal with the family am staying with.

So marks another beautiful day in paradise for this 21st century nomad.


No comments: