Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Kindness of a Stranger

There are times when having enough one dollar bills in hand is worth more than the fifty dollar bill in your wallet.

Yep that happened to me on Sunday Aug.26.07. I woke up that morming- very early, unusually early (6AM), got ready so as to catch the trirail from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale-FL. I got to the ticket place hoping to see a human being selling tickets, instead I found a machine (I had forgotten I was in the U.S.A-hahahaha). I looked into my wallet, there was two dollars and one fifty dollar bill. At that moment the fifty dollar bill was useless since the machine does not accept anything above twenty.

The cost of my fare? four dollars. I looked around, asking the nearest guy behind me if he coud lend me two dollars, he had nothing, just his fare amount. Looking desperate, another guy who had overheard me asking for two dollars, came up and gave me two dollars, saying I should not worry about it.

Yep!!! I got my ticket and walked to the platform to wait for the train. I was moved by his kindness that I thought he deserved something. Since I had with me my drum and music CD's, I gave him one and thanked him enormously. We stroke a short conversation, just before the train made its arrival.

I hopped in and sat thinking to myself, what a way to start a Sunday morning.

No comments: